Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
Rhinoplasty or a nose job is a procedure done to change the shape& size or improve function of the nose.In this procedure changes are made to the bone, cartilage, skin or all three of the nose. Majority of the people who undergo rhinoplasty are dissatisfied with the appearance of their nose and wish to improve the proportions of their facial features. A smaller percentage of candidates are people who face discomfort or breathing difficulty due to structural abnormalities or previous nose injuries.
Dr Amit Bhalotia is an expert cosmetic surgeon who will consider your skin type and other facial features and then plan a customized rhinoplasty best suited for you. Consulting the doctor before surgery will help you understand the most appropriate procedure and what it can achieve for you.
Rhinoplasty is categorized as per the complexity and timing of the procedure:
Surgery for reshaping of nose in a patient who has never undergone nasal surgery. It can be either a cosmetic procedure performed to improve the appearance of the nose or a medically indicated procedure to improve nasal breathing or a combination of both.
Corrective reshaping of a nose which has been operated earlier by a different surgeon. It requires exceptional analytical and surgical skill. Only surgeons with extensive training and significant rhinoplasty experience can restore breathing function and improve less-than-desirable results from a previous nose surgery.
Further changes (augmentation or reduction) by the same surgeon in a previously operated nose.
- Rhinoplastydoes not need hospitalization and the patient can go home the same day as the procedure.
- It can be performed from either inside the nose which is the ‘closed’ approach or through a small external cut at the base of the nose between the nostrils which is the ‘open’ approach.
- Through the opening, thesurgeon will readjust the bone and/or cartilage underneath the skin.
- As per the change desired, the surgeon either removes the excess tissue or adds extra material as per availability in the surrounding tissues.
- Sometimes small pieces of cartilage or bone are harvested from distant areas and placed as ‘grafts’ for the desired result.
- The tissues and skin of the nose are placed back and sutured.
- If the wall between the two sides of the nose (septum) is bent or crooked (deviated), the surgeon can correct it in the same sitting.
- A packing or support material is placed inside the nose and a bandage or splint on the outsidefor up to a weekto facilitate healing.
- Medicines are prescribed to reduceswelling and prevent infection.
Side Effects and Risks
- Slight bleeding and drainage of mucus and old blood are common after removing the dressing which may last for a few days.
- Sometimes numbness and pain may be felt in the treated area or the entire nose. This can be controlled with medications.
- Air flow from the nose may be disrupted causing difficulty in breathing, which is temporary.
- Infection in the postoperative period may delay the process of healing.
- Strenuous activity and swimming should be avoided for a few weeks.
- The changes in the nose structure will start appearing slowly over a period of a year.The results are refined and mostly permanent.
- There is a possibility of unpredictable tissue healing, trauma or issues in breathing in the postoperative period.
- If desired an additional revision surgery can be planned for minor changes after a year.
Dr Amit Bhalotia is an expert surgeon who has performed multiple successful cosmetic and plastic surgeries. Patients need not worry at all as they are in good hands.