Laser Hair Reduction
Hair is akin to a beauty feature for most people, but at times it can be an embarrassment if it grows excessively or in undesirable places. Hair reduction or removal is a process to minimize or remove hair from any part of your body.
Dr. Amit Bhalotia is a certified Cosmetic Surgeon and has a lot of experience in laser treatments. He has performed many successful hair removal procedures and at affordable prices.
Procedure of Laser hair reduction
- Laser hair reduction uses focused light beams (laser) on hair roots (follicles)to prevent them from growing.
- Different wavelengths of light are used for different colors of hair and the intensity of laser also varies with the type of hair.
- Common treatment locations include legs, armpits, upper lip, chin and others,with the exception of eyelids and the surrounding area.
- The higher the contrast between hair color and skin – e.g. dark hair on light skin, the better the result.
Duration of the Laser hair reduction procedure
Laser hair removal requires multiple, usually 2 to 6 sessions. The time for each session depends upon the surface area being covered and can last from a few seconds to several minutes. The interval between sessions is dependent on the part of the body; the period can range anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks.
The hair can regrow after a few months or years and the results vary significantly between people.In such cases where hair grows back quickly, the treatment is usually repeated to get the best result.
At the time of consultation, the doctor will explain the details of the treatment plan and tentative procedure schedule.
Side Effects and Risks
- Common side effects of laser hair removal include itching, redness and swelling of the treated area. These are mild and usually subside within 2 days.
- Applying ice to the treated area is mostly recommended but the doctor may also prescribe certain gels or creams if necessary which can be applied for instant relief.
- In some rare cases, discoloration of skin, infection or a flare of acne may appear.If so, consult the doctor immediately for further treatment.
Do not worry if the results take a while to appear. Gradually, the hair will start growing lighter and much slower than what they did initially. Regular treatments can effectively increase the long term results.